Thursday, December 10, 2009

Facets

I've been wanting to do some faceted polymer pieces for a long time. I had an idea in my head of how I wanted them to look... like natural crystals, with uneven, organic facets.

I finally broke down and bought a disk/belt sander so I could make them just like I envisioned. These range in size from 1/4 inch to just under 1 inch. I still need to drill them (crossing fingers). I'm imagining them clustered in groups, perhaps in a color gradation.

I had to buff them lightly to clean the dust. That softened the facet edges a little. I like them that way, but also liked them harder edged. I've ordered some finer grit paper for my disc sander. I'm hoping that will give a finer finish and I can keep the facets sharper.

7 comments:

  1. Oohh, can't wait to see the finished product! But they look so neat already. And I was surprised when you said they were only between 1/4 in to just under an inch. They look so much bigger. Close up pic I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Niki... you got me thinking. I may have to do some larger ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! (and another close up of your work that would also make a great print/poster/mousepad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful forms ... can't wait to see what they become!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *drool* those are sooo beautiful!! I love everything about them.. the soft gradations, the asymmetry, the rounded facets. just like how mother nature would make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! So beautiful and lovely colour choices. Very excited to see more rings too. I'm loving natural crystals lately and based a uni project around them recently. I loved looking at crystals in the local museum, yum!

    ReplyDelete