Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sneak Peek -Faceted Polymer and Wood Rings


So today I was thinking about faceting some scrap wood to make beads (which I did). I wanted to do irregular crystal forms like my polymer beads. I envisioned incorporating them into necklaces along with my polymer crystals.... I'm not sure where I made the jump, but I started thinking how interesting it would be to have a faceted bead that is half wood, half polymer... I was just about to do one when the ring image popped into my head.

I think they came out pretty interesting for a first attempt. I'm going to wear these around a bit to test out the sturdiness of the join, although they held up to initial attempts to pull them apart. The wood needs a fine sanding to smooth edges, and maybe a wax coat... not sure yet.

These were done with soft scrap wood. If the clay holds up I'll be looking into some finer hardwoods.

Next experiment -the half wood, half polymer beads I was envisioning.

9 comments:

  1. I really really love these! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are AWESOME!! What a great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! Always interest in the "marrying" of two different materials and you have done that really well here. Its like the ring becomes the gem instead of just holding the gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect combination of materials in an unusual but functional presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely tactile combination and shapes! good luck with them Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think it's a striking mix, very clever. I also like to wear my prototypes for a bit. Sometimes something leaps out at you that you've never thought of before.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone! So far so good. They are holding up well.:^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really interesting! I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete